- What separates the “good” coaches from the “average” is one word- credibility. In his best selling book “
- “, entrepreneur Tim Ferriss has devised a series of simple steps that anyone can follow to gain credibility quickly. Read this article to learn the 4 steps to gaining credibility and how it can improve your coaching:
- 1. Start by joining two or three coach organizations, whether they be large, such as the National High School Basketball Coaches Association (http://www.nhsbca.org/), or just your local town or state organizations. There, you can share ideas, and make connections that can make your team known.
- 2. Read three (or more) top basketball books. Learning more about the game will immediately translate to your coaching, be they autobiographies (
- by Phil Jackson), about basketball history (
- by Bill Simmons), or coaching manuals (
- by Breakthrough Basketball).
- 3. Then, give a free seminar/coaching workshop at a well known school. Afterwards, approach a university, explaining that you’re doing it for free because you’re looking to expand your coaching abilities. Doing so can gain valuable connections and experience.
- 4. Finally, contribute to a blog or a local magazine. Create your own basketball blog or apply to be a contributor to one, citing your experience from steps 1-3, to further expand your expert status.
- Gaining credibility is the beginning of opening up new opportunities for both you and your team. Follow these steps today to get the recognition and chances you deserve. If you’ve liked what you read today how about subscribe to our newsletter? In addition to a weekly blog post, over just TWO weeks we’ll send you 7 newsletters comprising of coaching tips, ideas and resources.
- See you out on the Courts,
Founder and CEO of Coachbase. He coaches the U16 boys basketball team at Chinese International School.
Latest posts by Coach Keith (see all)
- Interview: Secrets to high school coaching with team USA U17 Don Showalter - May 12, 2017
- 5 Ideas To Get Your Players To Buy-In to Your System TODAY - December 7, 2015
- Coaching 1st grade to 8th grade with Bob Bigelow - November 30, 2015