Are you a transformational or transactional coach?
Transactional coach – focus solely on winning and meeting their personal needs.
Transformational coach – use their platform. They teach the Xs and Os, but also teach the Ys of life. They help young people grow into responsible adults; they leave a lasting legacy.
Which one do you want to be?
We at Coachbase believe in the power of transformational coaching. We believe coaching plays a very important role in shaping young people’s lives. In a report by the Journal of Coaching Education, the study concluded that coaches were ranked as the no.1 positive influence on today’s youth playing sports. Our mission is to empower every coach to unleash their greatness by saving them time so they can focus on what’s important: developing leaders of tomorrow.
We highly recommend this book “InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives” by Coach Joe Ehrmann.
In the book, Coach Joe Ehrmann shares his own personal stories about his experiences with both types of coaches during his athletic career from youth to NFL star.
4 questions every coach should ask themselves:
- Why do I coach?
- Why do I coach the way I do?
- What does it feel like to be coached by me?
- How do I define success?
“I coach to help boys (or girls) become men (or women) of empathy and integrity who will lead, be responsible and change the world for good” or “I coach to win AAU title”. There’s a huge difference between the two.
Some other interesting ideas from the book include:
– Having a no-cut policy. Everyone who tries out gets a spot to eliminate their fears of being rejected. Coach Joe shares stories where players blossomed in their last year and wouldn’t have had the chance had they been cut.
– Not being afraid of showing emotion and expressing feelings and love towards each other. Coach Joe often openly says he loves his fellow coach.
It’s a great read and we at Coachbase really believe in transformational coaching. We hope this article brought you some food for thought and we thank all the coaches out there for your great work!
Latest posts by Coach Keith (see all)
- Interview: Secrets to high school coaching with team USA U17 Don Showalter - May 12, 2017
- 5 Ideas To Get Your Players To Buy-In to Your System TODAY - December 7, 2015
- Coaching 1st grade to 8th grade with Bob Bigelow - November 30, 2015